Thursday, January 29, 2009

What you never *really* want to hear when the phone rings at 1:30 am...

"Wendy's was robbed about an hour ago, and the thieves took my wallet, phone, and keys, so keep an ear out for the door just in case, and I'll try to be home as soon as possible."

Yeah... that was yesterday at 1:30 am... which was following about a cumulative total of 1.5 hours of sleep. I didn't sleep much after that until last night when Justin and I crashed at 9:30 pm. Instead of sleeping, I picked Rebecca up and sat in the bathroom, which is the only room with a locking door in the house at the moment (soon to change), for the next three or so hours. Oh, and I had my phone, and a knife with me... mostly because Justin failed to mention that the thieves had a gun. Had I known that, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the knife.

Justin finally got home at 4:15am to pick up keys to his truck so he could bring it home, and then he was home to "stay" at 4:30am. He was fine, aside from a *very* fat lip. We worked on making a list of everything that had been in his wallet, and then reporting credit cards stolen and placing a hold on his phone number until we could get a new phone for him. We went to bed just to rest at about 6:00, because we had to go to the allergist for 9:00, and I absolutely had to go now, because he didn't have a license! So, we went to the allergist and found out he's allergic to carrots, potatoes, garlic, beef, shrimp, and peanuts (I never even knew you could be allergic to potatoes!!). After the allergist, we went to the DMV to get him a replacement license and voter's registration card. Thankfully the license was only $10. After the license we went home to have lunch... then went back out to get a phone, which actually ended up being mine, and Justin took my old one. Then dropped by Lowe's to see what the cost of rekeying the locks would be. Went home for a bit where Justin called various places to let them know card numbers had changed, while I fed Rebecca, and then after he got all the door knobs and locks off the doors, we headed out to Lowe's again to get them all rekeyed. It took about 1.5 hours at Lowe's to have the locks all rekeyed, and then we went home, got the rekeyed knobs on the house doors, made supper, and got ready for bed.

Poor Rebecca was awake for the most part from about 1:45 am until 5:30am, and then I woke her up again at 7:15 so we could get her all ready to go and be on time for the allergists appointment. Then we were in and out so much all day that she didn't really get her naps... she wasn't too happy yesterday evening! She crashed for the night at about 7:30, and the first time she woke up after that was 2:30 am! then she woke up at 5, and then her typical 7:30 wake up time. She's stopped waking up at 7:30 because she's hungry, she just wants to get up to play/talk now (which is a little annoying when you're missing a night's sleep in there!).

Oh, and a funny thing yesterday... we walked into the allergists office, and they panicked when they saw Justin's lip, thinking it was a reaction to the testing the day before! But, after assuring them that it wasn't, and that he was fine for testing, they did the tests, and then when it was all done, the head allergist came in, panicked over the lip again (hehe), and then gave Justin some sort of antihistamine liquid and nasal spray to help his allergy symptoms, and prednisone to help the swelling from the testing... and said it should also help the lip. :) Oh, and repeated my statement that Justin should be putting ice on his lip for the first 24 hours, and backed me up when I said he should eat lots of freezies.

Anyway... today, Justin's back to work at Canon, and will be working at Wendy's this evening. I'm assuming that since there was a robbery two nights ago, there won't be one tonight... but I've told him that if there ever is another robbery there, he's quitting! :-P

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, that is scary! I probably would've quit that job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... he's looking for another. Until he finds one, he'll be working at Wendy's though... :-S

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awful! I would have freaked out. I carry WAY too much stuff in my purse. I keep meaning to make a list of everything in case something happens. Maybe I'll do that today...

    Allergic to beef? Well, I guess he won't be eating any more burgers from Wendy's...Garlic and peanuts are going to be a pain to avoid. Are these pretty high allergies, or can he have the foods every once in a while? My sister Anita just had a bunch of testing done and she has some foods that she is allowed to have once every four days and some foods that she has to avoid completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a way to get email notifications when you update?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I've got to decrease what I carry around in my purse. It's scary to think all that could be taken from me!

    The allergist said that we need to do at least 8 weeks of complete avoidance of the foods, and then some of them can be reintroduced... if he still reacts to them (tell me, how am I supposed to know the difference...?), then take them out and repeat the process again. Peanuts he said probably would be best to do a strict forever avoidance, as with shrimp. He said normally the beef, potatoes, garlic, and carrots will go away with strict avoidance.

    I'll email you when I figure out if there's a way to get emails on updates, or whatever, lol... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that Justin is OK!

    A HIDDEN knife could be a life saver, I wouldn't flail it around or make any threats with it, though!

    Good idea to lock yourself in the bathroom, would also be a good idea to pad the tub with baby blankets and Rebecca on them, in case of an attack she would be a lot less likely to be hurt.

    I'd keep the dog in the house, they can help you alot during a struggle, by biting, scratching ,and diverting attention maybe enough for you to get away, or to slow down the intruders, possibly long enough for help to arrive! Also the barking might alert neighbors, especially those midnight snackers, ext.

    They have your address, and maybe a picture of a young lady, or a baby, which means there's a young lady in the home, so you might take a few extra precautions, day, and night.

    I'd put things in the windows, so that no one could get in without knocking them down to make noise.

    We have motion sensing night lights, that would make it easier for you to see where an intruder might be.

    When little Robin was younger I put her motion sensing toys in strategic areas of her room, so that I could hear if she got up, or if someone came into her room, day or night. Now she's got musical waterfalls and things to do the same.

    We also have a couple of dogs, one house-trained in the house all the time, and one not house-trained who comes in to eat, and sleeps in a dog carrier in the utility room every night; (To keep him from getting into my laundry, he likes socks, if I don't watch him he'll run in from the yard, steal a sock, and run out!)

    I know you have one dog, but you might also consider getting a barker, like a chihuahua, or maybe a puppy that will soon be a LARGE dog.

    Maybe keep something blunt next to your bed and one inside the babies room that is light enough to throw at someone but hard enough to knock them out. Easy for you to reach, and maybe between the night stand and the bed, not easily seen by others.

    Irina Yoder, Do you also have two sisters named Carolita and Susie, along with a couple of brothers, and are you from Mississippi?

    Great pictures, btw, Melissa

    ICL, Mrs. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irina,
    I meant 3 sisters, sorry.

    ICL, Mrs. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband said to tell you you might also get a rechargeable flashlight, for yourself, and not to throw something because someone might catch it and beat you with it. (I meant to say swing, not throw, anyway, glad he caught that! And you might consider getting a firearm, and learning to use it, keep it in safe place.

    ICL,
    Mrs. Robin

    ReplyDelete