Friday, January 16, 2009

I (REALLY) don't like disposable diapers.

Like... seriously. They've become my least favourite part of babies.

We woke up this morning only to discover that the water pipe had frozen outside. Soooo, while hoping we would have water later in the day as things warmed up, we put Rebecca in disposables until such a time as we could guarantee having said water to wash diapers again (I was down to not even a day's worth of cloth).

So, I was just thinking how I don't like the smell of a wet disposable diaper and that I needed to change the wet diaper, and how even when they are wet or reaaalllly soiled, a cloth diaper doesn't really smell bad (at least with 100% breast fed babies). Then, Rebecca soiled her diaper. and I mean soiled. We're talking about a baby who tends to store it all for one GOOD soiling in a day. I'm thinking we're possibly looking at two today, because normally it's in the late afternoon/early evening that this happens. Anyway, I was relieved when I thought the disposable had actually contained it all... until I heard a little "pop". Then... I looked, and there was a mess on my lap.

Soo... I thought I ought to change her, and low and behold, when I got her dress off her, not only was her shirt soiled at the edges around the legs of the diaper (which I'm used to because occasionally a diaper cover will leak and we get some soiling), but her onesie was literally covered on the interrior. And, when I say covered, I really mean it. She was covered from shoulders to toes! So... she got a wipe down with a cloth... and then another cloth, and then another cloth... I've never gone through so many cloths in a diaper change either! Thankfully we had our water back, and the diapers had been washed by this time, so she's now in a cloth diaper, and I NEVER want to use disposables if I don't have to again!

All that said, we do need to purchase a package of size 1's so that we have them in case of lack of water again, or tornado (those started only about 6 weeks from now last year), or hurricane... which she should have grown into the size 2's by the time hurricane season comes, but anyway... yeah... we're back to cloth unless we're forced into "sposies" by some natural disaster again. Oh, and we now have a little heater for our pipe so that we can keep the pipe warm on cold days/nights. :)

5 comments:

  1. Just a tip here...if you ever *do* really have to use disposables...put a diaper cover on top! :) Benjamin just had a virus last week and had a runny tummy for nearly a week, and I put him in disposables to save me the work of washing out nappies (when I was sick & vomitting from same virus!) and also to keep from staining my shaped nappies...and we *only* survived because I had a wrap/cover over them! Disposables just don't contain anything - lol! I often had a wrap/cover that was full, despite having a disposable nappy on! I hate to think the mess we'd have had if he was *only* in the disposable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that's a good idea... assuming we have water next time we need disposables, I'm definitely taking that suggestion! I have *never* seen such a mess, even when the cloth leaks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, disposables are awful for leaks...who ever thought they were "convienent" (oh I know that is spelt wrong) were no quite right...sure you are fine if it is just wet but the poo's are another issue AND I was still having problems with Aaron at 11 months! Anyways yeah for cloth! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea sorry that was supposed to be me not Jett...sigh, sometimes I forget when I check his email for him and then I make a comment...ahh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah... I figured that. :) I forget sometimes as well... as you may have noticed at least once or twice! :)

    ReplyDelete