Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Unpleasant Wake-up Call

This morning... Rebecca woke up at about 5:15 to eat, ate, fell asleep again around 5:45, and proceeded to spit up less than fifteen minutes later... projectile style, a quantity that no child should ever give back after their mother provides such a good meal for them. I had almost fallen asleep... and ended up entirely covered from neck nearly to waist by her! To make matters worse, she got our bed with a patch nearly the same size, plus her receiving blanket as well!

Anyway, after such a pleasant start to our morning, things only could get better, right? Ummmm... sure. By two o'clock we had gone through another four receiving blankets because she did the same thing over, and over, and over again. Oh, and, she didn't bother with any more than about 45 minutes of sleep all day, and none of that was consecutive. She did finally stop giving back in large quantities around three thirty. Now all I'm hoping is that tomorrow isn't a repeat of today's experience.

This evening, the second pair of baby birds left. An older couple took them, and they're wanting a little flock, apparently, so we can allow our little birds to have as many babies as they like, and this couple would take on a few more at least, hehe. They don't know what they're getting into, I don't think! Anyway, now that the birds are down to only two again, we may consider throwing that nest in again next month. I need to make a run to the vet clinic soon to see if I can convince them that my dog needs a particular food that is completely controlled by the clinics, and if we were to order it online it would cost as much again as the food itself just for shipping, so we really need to get it locally if possible. Anyway, I guess that may be tomorrow's activity/battle.

On the development front, Rebecca is starting to babble in the spaces left in "conversations" we have, and there are a few sounds she makes that she seems to think actually mean something, which I find quite amusing. It's not so amusing when she gets mad that we don't respond though! She's also starting to reach out her arms when she's wanting you to pick her up... definitely a method of communicating her desire, which is really kind of cute. Anyway, when I realized she was so interested in these things called communication and conversation, I started looking for information on baby signing... so now, though she probably won't make use of it at all for a while, we're learning to sign. I discovered they have illustrated nursery rhyme books that have signs in them, so right now I have Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, and a first signs book thing aimed at toddlers, and then I have a "communicating with your baby" book on request, so hopefully I'll have that in the next few days as well, and can actually research it. However, we read, re-read, and re-re-read the Twinkle, Twinkle book probably about ten times this evening, because she was just so fascinated by the fact my hands were moving... so maybe she'll learn to say "stars" sometime soon? :) I should see if I can teach her to say "eat" as well... maybe that would solve some of our problems with fussiness in the evenings!

Our Christmas was quite nice. I think Rebecca was given way too much stuff, considering she was only six weeks old! She got clothing, some books, a few toys blankets, and a number of other things... and she's not even big enough to play with much yet. I can't even imagine what her birthday and Christmas are going to be like next year, as I will only have six weeks to find places for her birthday stuff before I have to find places for Christmas stuff as well. Well, I guess that will be interesting, to say the least! I'll have pictures up sometime soon, just haven't had the time to get to that just yet.

I put out word today that I'm looking for piano students. I'm hoping that perhaps I'll get somewhere between 5 and 10 students so I can make a little extra money around here. Perhaps if I can start with that many, in the fall I can increase by a few and have even a little more extra. I think Amelia and Jacob might be my first potential candidates, so all I really have to do is find another three or four students and I've hit my five to ten students. :) All the other students are to be on weekdays in the late morning/early afternoon for now, so basically I'm really hoping for homeschool students. Anyway... I guess we'll see what happens.

And, next month (January) seems to be birthday month. My mum, Justin's mom, Justin's dad, Jacob, Justin... they're all having birthdays next month!! I'm very glad Rebecca isn't sharing that month of birthdays. It seems the birthdays get very overshadowed in January on Justin's side, and I don't really want that to happen. Anyway, that's what the Happy Birthday background thing is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment