Wednesday, December 17, 2008

One Month Check-up

Rebecca went to see the doctor for her one month "well baby" check-up thing, and since he doesn't have a pediatrics scale we have to weigh her by deduction. Her approximate weight therefore is about 8.25-8.5lbs when you remove extra weight for the clothing she was wearing. Basically, she's gained about 1lb 4oz in the last four weeks. She's also measuring about 20.25", which is 1.25" longer than she was four weeks ago. He seems to be happy with how she is growing (how he couldn't have been is beyond me!), and said it doesn't look like she has thrush any more, but it does look like she may get her teeth early, as it looks like her gums are already preparing for one or two teeth to break through! I'm not sure I'm ready for her to have teeth too soon though... I think she can just keep them inside her gums for another five or six months! He also said that she is tracking things really well, so I guess that's good.

We've been reading a book called Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown in the evenings, to give us something to do. She seems to enjoy the book, and it's kind of funny, but the first few times I read her the book, I pointed to the various places on the page that the words were talking about, and now when I read it to her, her eyes follow the story, so if it is talking about the barn, she looks at the barn, if it's talking about the horses, then she looks at the horses, etc! I was quite surprised when I realized she was paying that close attention!

Speaking of being surprised... yesterday I was holding her in a standing position, and she took hold of my thumbs, so out of curiosity I let go of her, and she actually continued to hold herself in a standing position! Talk about a shock for me, lol! I guess if she's going to get teeth early she might as well learn to stand on her own early as well, but honestly... one month old and holding herself in a standing position??

I finished all the baking I had planned to do, aside from the gingerbread house portion of the baking, and Justin and I took cookies to all our neighbours this morning. I've got one or two more trays to take to people, but the majority is now done. I'm just curious as to whether we'll get any of the trays back (empty, of course), as we didn't say if we wanted them back or not. :) So far people have been surprised, and very thankful or excited to be getting cookies from us... and seeing as I taste tested every batch, I know they all taste good, so hopefully they'll all enjoy them as well!

This evening Rebecca and I are going to choir practise, but there's something on at 6:30 at the church as well, so I'm not sure if we'll go to that as well or not. It seems it might be a somewhat long evening if we did! We go to the library before we go to choir most Wednesdays as well, so we would therefore have to be leaving here by about 6:00 so we would be at the church for 6:30 after going to the library for 15 minutes or so (hah, that won't be the case when she's a little bigger!). Of course, we also have some things that need to be mailed from the post office itself, so we would have to leave even earlier. Probably by 5:00, because of the enormous line up there almost always is at the post office. Okay... so the more I think about it, the more I don't think I really want to go to this thing earlier than choir practise!!! :)

Anyway, I now need to get back to working on getting things ready for the mail, so they will hopefully all be sent today!

No comments:

Post a Comment