Friday, December 5, 2008

Car Registration and a Driver's License

I've been permitted to have a Virginia license for a long time now (since March?) but we weren't quite sure what documents I needed to prove I was allowed to have them, and then after we got my green card we were moving shortly thereafter, so we thought perhaps we should wait until after we moved so we only had to go to the DMV once. When we moved, we had issues getting a bill with my name on it to prove residency. So, finally, at the beginning of October, we had everything we needed. But, we figured we might as well only make one trip to the DMV, so we still had to import my car.

Car importation is supposed to happen at whatever port of entry the vehicle encounters first. That means my car should have been imported at the Calais/St.Stephen border crossing. But, they just handed us the paperwork and said it was going to take like two or three hours, so we might be better to import at our leisure in Virginia. So, after spending a few months trying to find the port of entry in the area, we finally got the car imported this week. Want to know how long it took? All of maybe 15-20 minutes. So much for two or three hours!! Officer Boddie, the gentleman who did the paperwork with me, said that the only reason they didn't do it in Calais is because they just didn't want to, because it really doesn't take long at all to do!

So, today, we went to the DMV and registered my car in Virginia. We're getting "homeschool" plates for my car, despite the fact that we do not, as of yet, homeschool. I left the choice to Justin, and those are the ones he picked. It took nearly 1 1/2 hours to get my car registered down here though! YIKES! And then when that was all done, we had to get them to give me a VA license as well. Apparently there were two application forms I was supposed to fill in, but I was only given one, so when we asked about a license they wanted to know why I didn't have that paperwork... *sigh* Anyway, 15 minutes later we were finally walking out of the DMV with the car title, registration, two temporary plate thingies for my car, and a license!

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy do I ever remember those days!! It was awful trying to get my license! You can without a greencard...heehee, though, I think it is better with one :) I still have a Texas drivers license, and I'm not changing it till we know where we will be living. Glad your figured out though, those things can be just a pain!

    ReplyDelete