Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Very Stark Contrast to Last Monday

We have been enjoying our spring weather for the past few days! Flowers are blooming, the weather has been sunny and around 75 degrees... basically, very pleasant! Today it's not sunny, and not quite that warm, but it's supposed to go up again tomorrow... then it's supposed to go up and down the rest of the week. I feel like we are the yo-yo on the end of the (weather) string!

I took a whole bunch of pictures of Rebecca outside yesterday afternoon (85 to be exact) and I have decided to display 16, lol. Be glad I finally settled on that small a number. Most of them are ones I wish I could show, since they're just very cute. I decided that perhaps it's just the mother's eye that makes them so wonderful to look at though, so forced myself to narrow the selection drastically! Anyway, I also took some "not Rebecca" pictures of flowers and an oak leaf that happens to be hanging out in our garden at the moment.

This is a pansy that I grew from seed last year... the first flower finally decided to come out yesterday, LOL. I can't believe that it really took nearly 12 months for the thing to bloom!

One of the daffodils my mum planted for me! It hasn't actually bloomed yet, but it will shortly, I would say! perhaps tomorrow??

Said oak leaf in our garden. I just thought it looked kind of neat. :-)

And now... the pictures of Rebecca. I really couldn't make up my mind which ones of these to post! Isn't the sleeveless shirt and shorts on the green grass amazing after the snowy pictures of last week?? Seriously, she's actually laying in the exact spot her sled was sitting last week in the pictures, just facing a different direction!!
















With this lovely weather, has come a very, very hot church sanctuary, which Rebecca was not too pleased about! She got very agitated in church on Sunday morning, and only after realizing she was probably swealtering, and therefore stripping her down to her onesie in church did she settle down again. However, we also need to figure out how to teach her to be quieter in church, particularly during the sermon. I am pretty sure she is getting noisy at that time because everyone else is being quiet, so if she makes noises then, EVERYONE responds! I think my social butterfly likes the interaction it causes. How, though, do you get 20 people at the front to not respond with so much as a chuckle?? Yeah... I don't think that's happening any time too soon. So, I guess I'll just have to think on it. Of course, it would also help if it wasn't going to cause a huge fuss if I was to give her a little flick whenever she got noisy... but I have a feeling no one would like me doing that to a 4 month old!! Oh well.

5 comments:

  1. What fun pictures! Your little girl just keeps getting sweeter. And I love the little bit of sunlight coming down on the leaf in that picture. Very pretty.

    Yeah, the only thing that worked with Grant during church was his pacifier. That thing was a life-saver for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure wish a pacifier would work for her, but it generally doesn't! She only sometimes will take it, and if she does, she spits it out again within a few minutes and keeps making noise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia was the same for the first 5 months re pacifier. I then tried one from gerber (nuk) and she took to it immediately. What have u tried? I know not everyone would agree with a little flick here and there for one so young, but then again it is amazing how much they can take in at such an age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got the Playtex "ortho-pro" pacifiers, and when she *wants* to suck, she will take it (though normally she doesn't want it from me... something about me being the mother with milk available, LOL), but otherwise she doesn't want it. Very opinionated, isn't she??

    So, what we've tried to silence her is:
    - a book to look at (works until she gets excited over it)
    - a toy to play with (again works until she's excited over it)
    - pacifier-- doesn't work unless her problem is that she wants to suck. Otherwise she just gets noisier because she'll fuss over the fact we put it in her mouth. When she wants it, she'll actually hold it there, so we know she does *like* the thing, just not enough to replace Mummy, and not enough to just munch on it at any point in time, lol.

    Currently what I've been doing is putting my finger across her mouth so it blocks all out-coming air. This seems to work somewhat, but the little screeches can come out without the air anyway (because it's possible to make really loud noises with your mouth closed!), and though it somewhat communicates the need to be quieter, it just doesn't seem to get the point across to her that it is inappropriate in church/quiet settings to be so loud.

    I would give her a little flick, but she's watched all the time when we're at church by *everyone*, and with people being so "anti-abuse" nowadays or whatever you want to call it, flicking a baby would get the wrong sort of attention. She gets the occasional flick at home, like if she is being entirely uncooperative in a diaper change or whatever, but at church in *public* I don't want to draw too much attention... :-S

    ReplyDelete
  5. you girl is a sweetheart!

    and that picture of the daffodil bud is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete