Well, I never thought I would be excited over diaper covers, but... I really like the covers! They arrived yesterday (yay for quick shipping and delivery!), and they are SO nice. Nothing like the cheap Gerber version of the same thing. I'm glad I decided to go with them instead! The bands around the waist and legs are so nice and soft, and the fabric on the actual cover just looks and feels so much more durable!
Now, while I'm very satisfied with my order of diaper covers, I am extremely irritated with Toys 'R' Us. That's where I ordered the only bassinet mattress that I've been able to find that would even come close to fitting our little bassinet. They cancelled the order, because for some reason, even though they list the item as being in stock on their site, their manufacturer apparently doesn't make them anymore or something. So, even though they're advertised as available, they're not available. So now I'm stuck having to figure out how in the world to make one! I seriously have no idea. I guess I'll end up getting some twill or something, and making one kind of in a tied quilted fashion, but I don't know. And, since I have to buy fabric and such anyway, I guess I'll figure out how to make the little bumper thingies at the same time.
My nephew is here on his own today. I think he's a little bored. He normally has his sister to play with all afternoon, but today he was done his school work by 10:30, and now he has a whole afternoon in which there are no play mates! The poor child. I'm not even sure what to do with him, because normally I would be willing to do something like cook with the kids or something, but I don't have any baking that needs to be done, and we're having soup for supper and that doesn't require a lot of cooking... He doesn't colour for very long, he doesn't draw for long, he doesn't do crafts much, unless you tell him exactly what he needs to do and when, and I'm lacking the creativity to make something with him right now. I guess we could go to the library, but that only takes 1/2 an hour of our afternoon. We could go to the park, but again, he'll be bored in 30 minutes. We could go for a walk at the nature park, but that only would take us 45 minutes... I guess if we put all of that together, it would take care of most of the afternoon, but seriously... I don't want to drive all over the city just to entertain the child! He has a ball, he has sticks, there's a tree to climb, but no... he wants to play with a person at all times. Is this the joy of caring for a youngest child? They've ALWAYS been entertained by another child?? *sigh*
Oh, and the baby bird is still alive. I'm impressed. I thought it would be dead by the end of the weekend, and actually, I thought it was dead at one point yesterday, because they had filled its crop soooo full that its head was at a weird angle and it looked like it had a broken neck. Anyway, I suspect the baby may survive, so I've decided to name it Twig, in keeping with the names of its parents, Willow and Bamboo. I don't know if we'll actually be keeping it, but it is quite cute, and I decided it needed a name.
What sort of size is your bassinet? Just wondered if you might find something on eBay? Like this sort of thing?
ReplyDeletehttp://cgi.ebay.com/FACTORY-DIRECT-2X13X27-BASSINET-MATTRESS_W0QQitemZ310091666303QQ
Though it seems ebay is much better here in the UK than the USA - guess more people in US have access to shops to visit in person! :) But for instance, looking at the "baby furniture" division of the two ebays, US site only had 1500 or so listings, but here in the UK our site has 10,000+!! :) So for me, ebay is often the place to do ordinary shopping - like for simple things like elastic for sewing, as it's farrrr cheaper than any shops!
What kind of diaper covers did you buy? :)
Hope your final days/weeks of pregnancy go well - you must be getting excited! Though maybe it doesn't feel very real since you're still so small.
Oooh! That one just might do it! I will have to measure our bassinet again to see, but it looks like it may be the right measurements, or at least close enough... Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI got the nice old fashioned pull on covers from tinytush.com to go with our nice old fashioned "just plain flats" that I got nice and cheap from Walmart, having looked into the many reviews of various flat and prefold diapers, lol.
As for the end of the pregnancy... it is somewhat surreal, as I still feel as if I should be waiting another 3 or 4 months before I'm "big enough" to be having this baby! But, I wouldn't mind having it early. This week would be nice, lol...
Dear Melissa,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations about your first baby!
There are worse things than not getting fat during your pregnacy, in fact, so long as the baby is a healthy size, it's a GOOD THING! You don't know how blessed you are!
Please tell me, are you in your house yet? Can we see pictures of your renovations? What did you do about the molded wall?
We miss talking to you.
Love, Mrs Robin, and little Robin
PS
Will be praying for you and your baby.
I believe that eBay seller had a few different sizes of bassinet/crib mattresses, so if that one isn't quite right it's possible another one might fit. Though I think I might have picked the smallest sized one to show you. :)
ReplyDeleteoh dear you sounded like me "this week would be nice" haha! *sigh* they sure don't come when you want them too. :(
ReplyDeleteYep, we are in the house. We have been since the end of August after someone broke into our apartment. Our lease ran out at the apartment the last day of August anyway, so it wasn't like we had to move too much before we were planning on it.
ReplyDeleteI'll be putting some pictures up soon... just haven't got around to it! Things are a little chaotic around here right now, with baby bird, a house mouse that we *don't* really want, two children, and the baby on the way any day, plus Justin is on a revised work schedule for the next two weeks.
The only walls with mould are in the garage, so for the moment we're just leaving it be. The mould isn't spreading at all, and since we dug a bit of a trench around the garage, things haven't been getting as wet, so it's not feeding the mould. Probably worse than the indoor mould right now is the unavoidable autumn patches of mushrooms in the back yard. We keep pulling those out in the hopes that they won't spread their spores everywhere for next year! :-)
Oh, and Ev... I really wouldn't mind any day now. Today or tomorrow would be appreciated. Otherwise, perhaps next Wednesday through Saturday, lol. The midwife we prefer is on duty on the named days, so if the baby would like to be even slightly cooperative, that would be nice...
ReplyDelete