Friday, August 15, 2008

We Have Water... and it's hot!

We've been holding off on lighting the pilot flame on our water heater until we were much closer to moving in, and then realized, when we went to light it, that not only did we not have any idea where the main turn off was, but there was no gas flowing anywhere anyway! So, we called the gas company, and ended up having to argue our way through the main call centre in order to accomplish talking to someone higher up the chain, but finally in the end we managed to have someone out to take a look for us. It turned out that though records showed that we had our gas turned on, the gentleman who looked at the thing had to uncap it in order to light the pilot flame! So much for having had gas for nearly a month!

On the same day that we got our gas working, Justin also got the water working properly, so I was able to run our diapers through their first couple of washes. When they were done their first two washes, I realized that there really were 12 that just were NOT the same as the others, so I called the company that makes them (Gerber) and asked questions. The weaves just look completely different, and the one package of them simply did not soften up the way the other two packs did! Apparently almost no one calls in dissatisfied with the product, but they want the pack of diapers and they're going to replace them free for me, so that's good news. We were thinking we were just going to have to buy another package that I liked the feel of and have spent an extra bit of money, but this is much better!

We're aiming to have the master bedroom finished, and personally, I'm hoping to have the walls down and repaired, and the new floor laid in the dining room by the end of the weekend. Of course, considering we're trying to figure out where to get people to help us move a fridge (everyone we know has been busy or has a bad back), I'm not sure just how much will actually happen, but anyway... Perhaps, if it doesn't rain all weekend, we'll also get the rest of the trim in the baby's room painted, and the closet door painted and put up. We had run out of trim paint, so needed to get more before we could complete the painting in there, but there is really very little left to be done.

6 comments:

  1. can't wait to see the "after" pictures! Sounds like a huge job but I'm glad it is coming along nicely (I mean I hope it is! cause it sounds like it!).

    Never tried prefolds. I never wanted to deal with pins or those snappi's thingys. I'm sure (now that I've seen them used and had a good look at them) they work just fine, but...I must admit I do like my one size motherease! but again...they aren't at first, money savers! Ach well, maybe one day I'll get an AIO pack of diapers...but hmm, I just can't believe they are really "leak" proof...I suppose I need to see them to believe them kind of thing... ok enough of my book writing!

    Love,
    Ev xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the baby's room is almost ready for some pictures! I just have to get the floor tidied up now! The walls and everything just make it such a pleasant colour of green... I'm really happy with how it turned out! We're going to be painting the master bedroom tomorrow, and hopefully getting the floor down tomorrow too..? Hopefully. We want to be out of here asap-- we had someone in our apartment yesterday, and we're not quite sure who! It's really kind of scary, but we think they've been coming and going for a while. Just a little disturbing.

    On the diapers... We're going the *really* old fashioned route. We're not even using prefolds! We're using the original flat cotton diapers! I kind of like the idea of the fitted diapers and the various covers and such, but we just can't afford to purchase, even second hand, any of the fitted diapers. The prefolds were nearly double the cost for the same number of diapers, and we would have still had to get doublers, plus they didn't appear nearly as versatile as the flats, so that's why we went with flats. Now I just have to have my little spin-cycle-baby (I think maybe it is taking after my washing machine and going in circles all day??) and then we can learn how to do this right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is very scary about someone being in the apartment?! How can that happen??

    LOL on the diapers, I thought they were prefolds! I had no clue there was another type...tells you how little I know about cloth! If I had extras I would send them over to you. But alas I have to use every 30 some odd of them plus all my covers. Cloth is cloth, I doubt there is much difference either way you go anyways!

    Yikes, were supposed to be packed and moved by next week - very scary. I'm the one with the huge burden of packing most of it all up...ugh! :)

    Hope the move is swift and easy for you! And green (my favourite colour) is absolutely lovely for a babies room good choice!

    Love,
    Ev xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, yup, there are different sorts of cloth diapers! Basically my version is the very cheapest you can possibly buy. I can imagine you would definitely need 30 or even more with two in diapers still!! Perhaps with time we'll have some money to spare for the fitted, though as you said, cloth is cloth, so who knows what we'll prefer. Mum says she's got a friend who may be sending some down this way depending on if her niece wants them for her little one on the way or not, so that may give us some "easy" diapers.

    It's kind of scary with the apartment being invaded, and we think the office isn't as good about keeping track of keys as they supposedly say they are, and so someone has the key... :-P Anyway, we're mostly moved out now, just need t pack the little stuff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah thats great about getting moved out...I'm still in the midst of packing and am not enjoying it at all - so scared I'm going to be depressed in Harris I really hope not but it can be very depressing in the winter I hear.

    Well, I should say Amelia is only in diapers if it is nap time or bed time, when we take a trip she is in pull ups then, but other then that it is panties all the way...and she is doing VERY good now I could have started a wee bit later looking back, but its done now! :)

    As I said...I can't wait to see pics! :)
    Ev xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah... I've been having a really hard time justifying actual *packing* for this move, because the house is "only ten minutes away". So, it's a little bit haphazard in the packing dept. here! Things would probably (maybe?) be a little easier if I had actually *packed* but, I really didn't feel like boxing everything up when I'm just unboxing it ten minutes later... *sigh* I think in some ways it is easier, but others, it is really quite a bit harder.

    Hope your move and stay in Harris go well! I haven't a clue what it's like, though I find it rather depressing around *here* in the winter. I actually wished last year for open space to just go wandering and take a walk. I ended up driving myself to various places just so I could "get away" from the house. In the summer it's not so bad, as there is so much to do, but winter is just boring, plus you kind of go stir crazy just sitting looking at a bare tree and the one or two birds that hop through the yard in a day!

    Just curious, when you say Amelia is in pull ups, are you using the motherease training pants, or are you using the disposables? Must be nice to have her mostly just in panties! I somewhat dread the toilet training thing, and am quite glad it is still a couple of years off! We're having enough "fun" trying to toilet train our nephew, let alone having to deal with a toddler as well! But then, from everything I've read and been told, cloth diapered babies are easier to toilet train than disposable diapered ones, so perhaps we won't have the struggle we're having with our nephew...

    We're getting about to the point of being able to put before/after pictures of the baby's room up, and are almost ready with the master bedroom as well. Hopefully I'll have everything ready in the baby's room for photos sometime in the next week, and the master bedroom as well! Oooh, and maybe a dining room to take pictures of as well?? LOL... just the floor though, as we haven't the time/money for the walls just yet...

    ReplyDelete