Friday, August 8, 2008

Getting Ready to Move

I'm trying to decide if I like moving a little at a time, or all at once better. In a way, it is nice to be able to take bits and pieces instead of having stacks and stacks of boxes, but at the same time, it is a real pain to have so many trips to make, and since the kitchen isn't really ready for us to move in yet, we can't really even start taking my pots and stuff over that we are not currently using (due to lack of space).

We've mostly finished the baby's room now, but as there was a piece missing from the book case we have for the room, I'm not quite finished setting up in there. When we have the book case put together and I've been able to finish organizing things, then I'll see about putting up some pictures! It looks really nice, particularly considering all we still need to do to that room! Oh, and to add to all the other baby things we need to be doing, we also need to wash, fold, and put away a whole stack of clothing we were given. Most of what we actually kept was tops, because the things that were bottoms were either too worn out, or just not things we think we would use. We got rid of pyjamas that were "fire resistant" (ie, made of polyester or whatever) because we would prefer cottons and cotton blends over 100% polyesters... plus they were really yucky feeling polyesters! Oh, and most of it is girls stuff, so we're no better off if the baby is a boy than we were before. Now I just have to decide on a container to put the clothing in to store it. Oh, and it's all toddler stuff. The person must think babies grow realllllly fast, lol!

We pulled out the carpets from the master bedroom and the living room, in the hopes that it is going to get rid of some of the smell that is in the house. Personally, I already think it smells a little better in there, but I'm not a big fan of the whole blackish-brown "church basement" tile flooring thing going on now. The entire house was tiled with the exact same tiles! In the process of removing the carpet from the living room, we also discovered a "lovely" thing. There is a crack running straight across the floor. A big enough crack that the floor on one side is about 1 1/2 inches lower than on the other side!! It doesn't go through the structure itself though, as it runs straight out the front door at the front of the room, and crashes into the brick pillar at the back of the room. So, we at least know our house isn't going to crumble and split from the bottom to the top!

This weekend we're going to try really hard to get the "master bedroom" fully finished. We're probably going to have to get some more flooring for it, as it used just a little more than half for the baby's room (we were taking a guess when we said it would probably be enough for the two rooms). I think we're probably going to need like 8 pieces of laminate. That's really not bad. Of course, we're also going to need laminate for the dining room, so I guess we'll likely get it all at once (makes it a TON easier to install the stuff when you have it all there and ready!). We may actually need to just purchase enough for both rooms. I suppose I should probably measure the dining room for that. I know that we need approximately 40 pieces for the bedroom, since it took about that much for the other bedroom, so I'm guessing we likely need about 60 for the dining room, but I'm not sure, as I don't know how big the room actually is.

I suppose another thing on the list for the coming couple of weeks is to tear off and replace walls, and then paint them my nice cheery yellow. I'd really like to be rid of the mint, pastel lime, and aqua greens before the baby comes. I think the kitchen is going to be the worst though! It's so... deteriorated! We pulled off the molding at the bottom, because the last people painted it black and we really don't feel like using a gallon of paint to cover the black on something that probably would cost less to simply replace. Anyway, the bottom portion of the wall came with it! The original plaster simply tore right off. Why, you might ask? Well, because the people were intelligent enough to stick the stuff on using... rubber cement! We don't ask questions about this house... we just smile and shake/nod our heads regarding everything we find, because things are often just that ridiculous!

No comments:

Post a Comment