Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bed Sheets, Creeping (not Crawling), Toys, Extra Children...

Playing with a ball I crocheted for her out of some scraps... it's stuffed with old plastic shopping bags! If you want to know how to make one, just ask...

So, you may have gathered from my last post that Rebecca is capable of moving herself now. Actually, that is an understatement. She is creeping very quickly in order to get into whatever strikes her fancy. So, we've been cleaning everything we can in an attempt to be at least child safe even if we aren't child proof. As it turns out, it's a good thing we've had to do this now, as I was approached by a neighbour looking for temporary care for her 13 month old today. She's about to start working full time hours and at the moment her child is on the daycare list, but hasn't got a spot yet. So, we are talking it over, but there is a good possibility we'll be caring for the little one for a few weeks while they await a day care placement. The other reason we're working so hard at getting everything cleaned up is because we have Amelia and Jacob coming to stay with us for three weeks starting on June 7. Justin's parents are going to be away, I'm the back up pick-up person, so rather than having to run out and get the kids if something comes up for Donna, I volunteered to just have them spend three weeks here with us. That should be interesting, especially if we do have the other little one as well. Imagine... a 6 month old, a 13 month old, a 5 year old, and a 7 year old... all in this little house!

Justin gave me some gorgeous potted flowers for my birthday! Yellow miniature roses, and yellow gerbera dasies!

Since we have our niece and nephew coming to spend three weeks with us, we have to come up with beds for them. We decided that since they are both shorter than 4' and both weigh less than 50lbs, we could put them each on a toddler bed, and everyone would fit in Rebecca's room! As it turns out, Donna has a toddler bed still, so we only need to find one other, and we're leaning toward making our own, as I found a plan for making a toddler bed, and it looks really cute... plus it would be sturdier than the ones you can buy... and we can probably modify it to suit whatever we want. Anyway, since we're aiming for the toddler beds, we needed bedding. But, did you know that to get a bedding set for a toddler bed you'll be spending a minimum of $40?? We're cheaper than that though... we went to Wal-mart and got some really cute Winnie-the-Pooh fabric (the pattern is called "A Day in the Park" if you want to Google to see what it looks like), and some flannelette, and some pale yellow fabric... and I made a comforter, a flat sheet, and a fitted sheet for each bed. We're just going to use regular plain white pillow cases. You wouldn't believe how simple it is to make a fitted sheet for a crib mattress! Seriously... I'm never buying one again! I can make 4 for the price of buying one brand new! (And if you need to know how to do it, just ask... I'll tell you!)

A result of our cleaning and reorganizing: Rebecca on a book shelf! (By the way, she's wearing a Bummies Whisper pant over her diaper... and they are WONDERFUL. And cheap!)

Rebecca has been very fussy lately. I don't know if it is teething or something else, but she has not been sleeping well, she's constantly wanting to nurse, and rarely wants to be put down. Even at night when she wakes in the night she wants to stay up unless I'm holding her. It's becoming quite tiring! Hopefully she'll outgrow it soon! However, we've discovered that while we have freezies we don't need teething rings/toys! She just loves the frozen things, and seeing as they are sealed, and various colours, they're perfect. They can thaw and be refrozen a hundred times, and still be okay to eat afterward!

Rebecca's been doing some hanging out in her playpen lately while we've been cleaning, and she's starting to like the toys I've got in there, though she hates being confined!

And, finally, we're experiencing a lovely thunderstorm, in which the lightning seems to be right over top of us (and the thunder would agree with this statement!). I'm starting to think that it can't rain here without thunder and lightning, as I don't think I've seen proper rain happen yet without it. For that matter, I've seen lightning and heard the thunder without any rain, so I suppose perhaps we're just prone to it!! At least we didn't have "severe weather alerts" today, so I guess it can't be too bad... :)

1 comment:

  1. I am learning to crochet and I made a sad excuse for a ball like Rebecca's when I was trying to make a crocheted egg. LOL! I am getting better though. I did well from start to halfway...but then I misses some stitches or made the wrong ones on the other half and so it was more "open" on the second end. *sigh* It is on the blog under "School under an apple tree" Maybe you can see what I did wrong.

    Rebecca is getting so big and she is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete